10 tips to pass power with the battery jumper cables
Before using the battery jumper cable , check that none are damaged by cracks or leaks. You must take into account that in these cases, many people will not always want to help, probably due to a lack of knowledge, since if the jumper cable is not used correctly it can damage your battery or your car's computer. More in TODOAutos.pe: 5 main failures in the exhaust line. To get more ideas, check out: Best Jumper Cables
1. Check that the entire electrical system of the car is turned off , such as headlights, radio and connected devices, to avoid possible surges.
2. Verify that none of the batteries are damaged with cracks or leaks. If this is the case, we recommend that you do not try to connect the cables and leave the procedure. It will be best to call a tow truck to take the car to the nearest mechanic.
3. Check that both batteries have the same voltage. Cars generally have 12-volt batteries. If they do not match, avoid continuing with the process since you could cause serious problems in both vehicles.
4. In the event that you performed the above mentioned steps correctly, you can connect the red wire from the positive (+) terminal of the battery without charge, to the positive (+) terminal of the battery in good condition.
5. Connect the black wire from the negative (-) terminal to the rescue battery, and the other part to a solid piece of unpainted metal. It is very important not to connect the cable directly to the negative (-) terminal to the exhausted battery, as it could cause a spark in the battery.
6. When making the electricity transfer , make sure that the cables do not have contact with each other, much less with engine parts such as belts, pulleys, fans, etc.
7. After verifying that everything is correct, start the engine of the car that has the battery in good condition and lightly step on the accelerator at around 2000 rpm. for about two to three minutes before trying to start the other vehicle. This will allow not to strain the cables and have an easy start.
8. In case the self-help does not start, check again that the cables are well connected. If the vehicle does not start, the problem may be different.
9. At the moment the self-help car starts to turn on, disconnect the cables from both batteries in the same order as you connected them. Negative with negative and positive with positive.
10. At this point, we recommend that you keep the car running with the battery exhausted for 20 minutes to allow the system to charge the battery.
It is worth mentioning that there may be cases such as not being sure if the alternator is generating the necessary current . On this occasion, it is not recommended to pass current, since situations have been seen where the cables generate high voltages of 17 volts causing the car's computer to burn.